Thursday 31 October 2013

Guru Mantra - with English Translation

Guru Mantra in Sanskrit

Om Gurur Brahma Gurur Vishnu
Gurur Devo Maheshvara
Guru Saakshat Parambrahma
Tasmai Shree Gurave Namaha  

Complete Meaning in English
Guru is Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. He creates, sustains knowledge and destroys the weeds of ignorance. I salute such a Guru.

Word to Word Translation
Gurur Brahma (Brahma is Guru) Gurur Vishnu (Vishnu is Guru) Gurur (Guru) Devo (Lord) Maheshvara (Maha Ishvara = Great Lord, often referring to Shiva) Guru (guru) Saakshat (openly, in sight of, obviously, in the presence of) Parambrahma (great being) Tasmai (give) Shree (radiance, auspiciousness, great) Gurave (to the Guru) Namaha (I bow, offer obeisance, prostrations)

3 comments:

  1. Just a thank you for all the trouble that you have taken. Without your page I would remain in darkness.I bow to you. fred fernandes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good translation in English.. I bow to you because it is not everyone's ability to translate easily... But word to word translation always gives me funny feeling and bring laugh to my mouth

    ReplyDelete